I mentioned in my earlier post that I got to attend a conference that Lifeway did this weekend called DotMom. I am so thankful for the experience & am excited that I get to share from the sessions. And the things the Lord is teaching me through these amazing women.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our first session was Friday afternoon about 1:00 after some wonderful worship time with Melissa Greene we got to hear from the fabulous Angela Thomas. Angela (because I am on a first name basis with these wonderful ladies now :) spoke from Matthew 5:14-16 "Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
When Angela started speaking to this passage I was taken back at first with how she would bring this around to Moms. I have heard this message many times before about shining out light to the world, being an example of Christ. But as Angela so beautifully translated it to us is how as Mom's our assignment is to be lights to all who are in our house. To our children & husbands especially.
Angela gave a great example of this through how we act to our children when we are on the phone, I know I was convicted. I don't know about you but my kids have radar when I get on the phone with a friend. Inevitably thats when Sam comes running in to tell me Drew hit me, or Drew says Sam took a toy away from me. Or the best one, "He breathed on me!" You laugh but I promise it has happened in my house! When my boys run to me are they surprised at the voice coming from Mommy? The sweet voice as Angela calls it. Sweetly telling my friend about a new recipe or the ever important what happened on Dancing with the Stars last night. But what they see is the "Mom Glare" with a snap of a finger that says, you better quiet down, orELSE. Shouldn't they get the best of me too? Shouldn't I say to my friend in my sweet voice, "Hang on a sec." Then to my son in the SAME sweet voice say "Mommy's on the phone baby but are you okay?" Where else are our children going to see the Light of Christ shown so transparently if not with us!
Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” We are so blessed we don't have to do anything to earn our light. We don't have to search for it or bargain for it. We are given it freely when we accept Jesus as our Lord & Savior. How amazing! And as Angela pointed out the verse says we are to be "witnesses in Jerusalem". Our homes are our Jerusalem. Right there in the dino pjs is the Jerusalem God has blessed me with! What a testimony for us to live out & teach the younger generation. What an honor & privilege!
Angela also shared a story about her family from when one of her son's was junior high age. He was playing soccer & while he was very good at it, this paticular game they were losing & so her son was showing the attitude of a 13 yr old boy who is losing a game. Angela said she got more & more frustrated watching her son as he was playing, not giving his all on the field. At one point he came close to the bleachers where she was sitting to throw the ball back in. And she said she couldn't help herself. She stood up right there in front of all his friends, & the other team & yelled "Be the sunshine!" Angela said even though his back was to her she could almost see her words hit him in the back of the head when he flinched! After the game her son walked up to her & said "Really Mom? Be the sunshine? You couldn't have said something more manly?" But now in her home all these years later they still say that to each other. It became a reminder for all of them that wherever they went they were to be the sunshine for Christ. And they learned it from the example set forth at home from their Mom, Angela Thomas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ladies, none of what I say here is from me as an expert, I am far from it. I am still in the trenches just like many of you! I was convicted tenfold this weekend. But I have the privilege to share what God blessed me with this weekend. I pray that through these post God will show you something. I truly prayed over every post begging that it would be the Lords words not my own! What a mighty God we serve!
Be the SONSHINE ladies!
~Cass
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! So join me in Time-Out!