Sex trafficking. Human trade. Slavery. Forced labor.
Words that we think we don't have to worry about. Those are things that happen in "those other countries". NO this is happening in our country. In our cities. In our own backyard. It's staggering when you start to learn about sex trafficking.
*There are 27 million people in slavery today. (Ncadv.org)
*There are more slaves today then there were African American slaves & the country went to war over that outrage.
*80% of trafficked victims are female. (Ncadv.org)
*Human trafficking is the 3rd most profitable criminal activity, only behind drugs & arms trafficking. (Ncadv.org)
*Between 2001-2005 only 140 people were convicted of human trafficking in U.S. courts. (Ncadv.org)
*Every 2 minutes a child is being prepared for sexual exploitation. (UNICEF)
*The human trafficked buisness is reportly a 32 billion dollar a YEAR buisness. (Multiple sites)
Yes it does happen in other countries like India where the women stand shoulder to shoulder EVERY DAY waiting for a man to come by & pick them out. This is all they know. This is how they feed their children. This is how they survive. How horrible. Thankfully there are some people taking notice like a company that I happen to LOVE, Freeset that take these women off the street, teach them how to sew jute bags. Pay them fair wages, give them health insurance, retirement, dignity. How amazing!!!! I happen to be friends with Kristi who does a lot of work for them & have been blessed to even help her from time to time sell these bags. Kristi is doing a special posting on her site every Friday to learn about fair trade. Be sure to check her out to learn more!
I have been blessed by the women of Freeset without ever meeting one of them, without ever stepping foot in India, I am forever changed by these women. Check out Freeset & support Freedom! You get a cute bag & you give a woman a chance to provide for her family with something other than her body. You can also go here to check your Slavery footprint. You might be surprised! Get involved. Get educated! It only takes 1 person to change the world!!!!
Psalm 9:9 "The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble."
Cass
I just came to your blog from the SMBC Women's blog. We are members of SMBC, but I'm not sure if you attend there, too. It's a big place, so even though we've been there 5 years we still don't know everyone. Love your blog and have added it to my reader so I can see new posts. Blessings!
ReplyDelete